Pet owners warned after man was attacked in attempt to steal his dog
- Credit: Peter Georgiou
The family of a man who was punched in the face while walking his dog have warned other pet owners to be wary of attackers.
Tommy Georgiou decided to walk his family dog, Norman, an English Bull Terrier, at 8pm on Saturday, January 11, at Church Walk, in Watton, when he was attacked and punched in the face by a man who tried to grab Norman's lead.
The attacker is believed to have been accompanied by two other men, but Mr Georgiou, 43, who lives at Lime Tree Walk with his parents, wrapped the lead around his hand and managed to escape.
The incident has been reported to the police but Peter Georgiou, the father of Tommy Georgiou, said his son has been left shaken up after the attack and now he wants to warn the community.
Mr Georgiou said: "Tommy got to Church Walk and it is very dark down there at night and as he got level with the trees the dog stopped to wee and that was when a guy stepped out in front of Tommy and startled him.
You may also want to watch:
"The man attempted to grab the lead but as Tommy tried to take the lead back he noticed two other men behind the first and that was when he was punched in the face.
"Tommy managed to wrap the lead around his arm, pulled back and ran home. He was really shaken up, but he managed to tell me what happened and I went running down there but they were gone."
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
Mr Georgiou was left with an injury to his eye, but his father said it could have been a lot worse and he took to Facebook to warn other vulnerable dog walkers and the post has received nearly 2,000 shares.
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: "Police received a report of an incident of assault in which a man in his 40s was punched in the face causing minor facial injuries.
"The incident happened on Church Walk at approximately 8pm on Saturday, January 11. Enquiries are ongoing."
Mr Georgiou added: "We want to warn other people because a lot of people go down to Church Walk with their dogs and a lot of woman have been quite frightened by what's happened. They need to be vigilant.
"A lot of people know Norman, sometimes his breed can look intimidating, but he is as silly as a bunch of bananas. He is very well known, and everyone loves him."