Community bank opens in Swaffham
A community-based bank is to open in Swaffham, offering members attractive packagesThe Iceni Community Bank, a branch of the South Norfolk Credit Union, provides free insurance for members and profits are paid out to savers as an annual dividend.
A community-based bank is to open in Swaffham, offering members attractive packages
The Iceni Community Bank, a branch of the South Norfolk Credit Union, provides free insurance for members and profits are paid out to savers as an annual dividend.
“By saving with a credit union you are also helping your community as all the cash stays in the community,” said Dennis Tallon from the Iceni Partnership and also speaking for the branch.
“The savers in the community are helping the borrowers in the community. The borrowers are helping to provide dividend income for the savers. Any profits are ploughed back to the members in the community. The credit union is run by people in the community for the community,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Tallon said a credit union was a financial co-operative owned and democratically controlled by its members and run solely for the benefit of its members. Members save with the credit union and then take out loans if they wish. Interest rates are very competitive for small loans. Some free insurance is provided for members. Savings do not attract a set interest rate but any profits made by the credit union are paid out to savers as an annual dividend.
The bank will be opened on Tuesday, July 15 by Christopher Fraser, South West Norfolk MP and will operate between 1-4pm at the Community Centre in Swaffham's Campingland.For further information please contact Dennis Tallon on 01760 722800 or email email@example.com
- 1 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 2 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 3 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 BMW stolen from driveway in small Norfolk village
- 6 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 7 Roads to close in Swaffham for Christmas market weekend
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 9 Fly-tipping couple fined £400 for dumping mattress
- 10 Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab to share access to mansion after PM ruling