Come and join us – Castellan contract shows King’s Lynn Town will give local lads a chance
- Credit: Ian Burt
Gary Setchell is vowing to keep tapping into the area's talent pool after handing Matty Castellan a coveted contract.
The defender, 21, last night put pen-to-paper on a deal which will keep him at King's Lynn Town until the end of next season. Castellan follows highly-rated striker Dylan Edge, 17, in committing his future to his hometown club and Setchell insists the door remains open for more local lads to try and make a name for themselves at The Walks.
Lynn's boss, whose play-off chasing side head to Stratford Town this evening, said: 'With the youth team, we want the best players from Lynn, at Lynn, to have a chance of playing for Lynn.
'Putting people like Dylan and Matty on a contract, and the chances they've had with the first team and the reserves that Robbie (Back) has given them, there's an opportunity for local lads who want to play for King's Lynn – if they're good enough and dedicated enough – to get opportunities.'
Castellan was given the chance to play for Lynn after impressing for Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division Swaffham Town, who play two levels below the Linnets.
You may also want to watch:
The centre-back has already made 22 appearances since his arrival in September and will now have to be bought if another club wants to prize him away from Lynn.
'It's awesome to sign a contract,' Castellan said after agreeing terms for 18 months, with an option of a year's extension. I just try to keep playing well every time I'm on the pitch. To be rewarded with a contract is brilliant. I am a little bit surprised. Obviously I thought I could make a difference but I wasn't sure over what sort of time frame that would be over.
- 1 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 2 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 3 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 4 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 7 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 8 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 9 Air ambulance making big difference since start of 24/7 service
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
'I've just tried to learn from the people around me, pick up things quickly, and try and better my game.'