Chemical scare at Watton firm
Seventy five people had to be evacuated from a company in Watton after a chemical incident yesterday morning.Fire appliances and the ambulance service were called to Bowes of Norfolk at 10am after reports of a leak on the premises.
Seventy five people had to be evacuated from a company in Watton after a chemical incident yesterday morning.
Fire appliances and the ambulance service were called to Bowes of Norfolk at 10am after reports of a leak on the premises.
Station manager Phill Berry said a cleaning fluid which had been used in a concentrated form had created a potentially dangerous chemical vapour.
“We had to evacuate the 75 people from the building and bring them out to safety as precautionary measure,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of them were beginning to feel quite dizzy, but once they got a bit of fresh air, they immediately started to feel better.
“The ambulance service assisted the people on the scene.”
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 6 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
He added: “A cleaning fluid had been used in a concentrated form. This created a chemical vapour and we had to ventilate the premises to allow the fresh air to come in.”
Mr Berry said the incident was attended by four appliances and a chemical incident unit from Sprowston.
The incident was closed shortly before 12.30pm.
Last night Bowes of Norfolk were not available for comment.