Search

Chemical scare at Watton firm

PUBLISHED: 09:22 11 August 2008 | UPDATED: 10:59 08 July 2010

Seventy five people had to be evacuated from a company in Watton after a chemical incident yesterday morning.

Fire appliances and the ambulance service were called to Bowes of Norfolk at 10am after reports of a leak on the premises.

Seventy five people had to be evacuated from a company in Watton after a chemical incident yesterday morning.

Fire appliances and the ambulance service were called to Bowes of Norfolk at 10am after reports of a leak on the premises.

Station manager Phill Berry said a cleaning fluid which had been used in a concentrated form had created a potentially dangerous chemical vapour.

“We had to evacuate the 75 people from the building and bring them out to safety as precautionary measure,” he said.

“Some of them were beginning to feel quite dizzy, but once they got a bit of fresh air, they immediately started to feel better.

“The ambulance service assisted the people on the scene.”

He added: “A cleaning fluid had been used in a concentrated form. This created a chemical vapour and we had to ventilate the premises to allow the fresh air to come in.”

Mr Berry said the incident was attended by four appliances and a chemical incident unit from Sprowston.

The incident was closed shortly before 12.30pm.

Last night Bowes of Norfolk were not available for comment.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Watton and Swaffham Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists