Cadets who just keep winning
864 (Watton) Squadron ATC are on another winning streak having just won two more Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Competitions. This time it was the aero-modellers who have come to the fore.
864 (Watton) Squadron ATC are on another winning streak having just won two more Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Competitions. This time it was the aero-modellers who have come to the fore. The air cadets across the Region were set the objective of remembering the formation of the Royal Air Force 90 years ago. They were set the task of constructing a 1/48 scale Sopwith Camel and a 1/72 scale diorama of the Royal Air Force in 1918.
Cadet Kirk said “It is great to see our hard work win the competition.”
The air cadets from Watton chose to remember the first use of armour, infantry and close air support in an action at the Battle of Amiens. This action was instrumental in bringing the First World War to an end. Cadets from Watton continue to be very successful modelers and this is the fifth year running they have won the single model competition and the seventh time in the last eight years that they have won the diorama competition.
Modelling project instructor Mr George Collins said “This year is the 90th anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st of April 1918. The cadets' who made the models enjoyed researching what the RAF did in their first few months and they soon discovered its much the same as the RAF does now!”
You may also want to watch:
The models will now make their way to RAF Wittering for the Regional competition on the 7th September to decide who has made the best models out of the 180 competing Squadrons.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 5 Norfolk man's year-long fitness challenge in memory of parents
- 6 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 9 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 10 Prince Philip's life and legacy remembered during poignant funeral