Cadets who just keep winning
864 (Watton) Squadron ATC are on another winning streak having just won two more Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Competitions. This time it was the aero-modellers who have come to the fore.
864 (Watton) Squadron ATC are on another winning streak having just won two more Norfolk and Suffolk Wing Competitions. This time it was the aero-modellers who have come to the fore. The air cadets across the Region were set the objective of remembering the formation of the Royal Air Force 90 years ago. They were set the task of constructing a 1/48 scale Sopwith Camel and a 1/72 scale diorama of the Royal Air Force in 1918.
Cadet Kirk said “It is great to see our hard work win the competition.”
The air cadets from Watton chose to remember the first use of armour, infantry and close air support in an action at the Battle of Amiens. This action was instrumental in bringing the First World War to an end. Cadets from Watton continue to be very successful modelers and this is the fifth year running they have won the single model competition and the seventh time in the last eight years that they have won the diorama competition.
Modelling project instructor Mr George Collins said “This year is the 90th anniversary of the formation of the Royal Air Force on the 1st of April 1918. The cadets' who made the models enjoyed researching what the RAF did in their first few months and they soon discovered its much the same as the RAF does now!”
You may also want to watch:
The models will now make their way to RAF Wittering for the Regional competition on the 7th September to decide who has made the best models out of the 180 competing Squadrons.
- 1 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 4 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 5 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 7 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 8 Family's joy as beloved dog returns home after week-long search
- 9 Find out who made the Norfolk Day Drabble writing competition shortlist
- 10 Delays to thousands of bin collections across Breckland