Bulb in administration: What does it mean for you?
- Credit: PA
Britain's seventh biggest energy supplier has gone into administration.
Bulb provides gas and electricity to 1.7 million households but has gone into administration after being squeezed out of the market.
The company said today, November 22: "If you’re a Bulb member, please don’t worry, as your energy supply is secure and all credit balances are protected.”
Customers of Bulb need to know:
- You do not need to take action, Bulb will operate as usual
- Bulb will contact you if you need to do anything
- You will still have gas and electricity
- You will be moved to another supplier
- All credit balances will be protected and prices will remain the same, top-ups will also continue as normal
- Only call if it’s an emergency, you’re in a vulnerable situation or you're struggling to pay your bills
Ofgem will be appointing a special administrator to protect customers, they will move their 1.7 million households to other suppliers.
Bulb is the largest of more than 20 energy suppliers that have gone into administration since September 2021 as gas prices rose.
- 1 Pensioner jailed for five years for child sex assaults
- 2 Homes in Swaffham left with low water pressure due to burst main
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Police officer puts on a show for charity that means a lot to him
- 5 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 People to get booster jabs sooner - but not at walk-in centres
- 8 Bin collectors could strike over long-running pay dispute
- 9 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 10 Former convent sold for £400,000 and could be converted into family home
The collapse of smaller companies creates a domino effect, putting too much pressure on an otherwise stable supplier.
The special administrator will continue to run the company until it can be sold off, the customers join another supplier, or it can be restructured.