Youth centre could be given new lease of life with management overhaul
- Credit: Archant © 2005
An underused youth centre in Norfolk could be given a new lease of life as a town council looks to handover management to a charity.
Watton Town Council has been working with The Benjamin Foundation to take over the Youth and Community Centre currently run by The Charlotte Harvey Trust, in Harvey Street.
The Benjamin Foundation, based in Norwich, wants to create a sustainable, long term plan for the centre by working with the Children's Centre, at St Mary's Church, and Project Rainbow, who are helping to shape the strategy for what activities take place at the centre.
The aim is to create a community hub where young people will be able to take part in activities and groups as well as holding parent groups throughout the day.
Claire Boothby-Barnbrook, operations manager for youth services for The Benjamin Foundation, said: "As we celebrate our 25th anniversary, we are looking to build on our youth work services and Watton has a wonderful asset in the Youth and Community Centre, which is currently underused.
You may also want to watch:
"While we plan to prioritise activities for under 5's, young people and those who are socially isolated, we very much want to see the centre as a hub for everyone in Watton, all are welcome to visit the centre and get involved."
The plans are being created alongside the recruitment of a Families Matter Keyworker for the town, who would deliver activities for under five's and support families to access support and advice services.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 3 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 4 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 5 Five times the TV cameras rolled into Norfolk
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 What has Breckland's Market Towns Initiative achieved?
- 8 Priscilla Bacon Hospice appeal gets £10,000 boost
- 9 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
Watton Town Council are in the early stages of handing over management and at the last town council meeting on Tuesday, August 13, started the process of gathering legal advice on the handover.
The hall currently hosts a limited number of events but a martial arts group holds regular classes there. It is not known when the foundation will take over the centre but it hopes to create a full schedule.
The Benjamin Foundation is calling for families to support the initiative and find out more about what can be hosted at the centre.