Search

Attempted abduction of airman at RAF Marham in Norfolk a year ago is no longer being treated as active investigation, say police

PUBLISHED: 00:14 21 July 2017 | UPDATED: 16:49 21 July 2017

RAF Marham was on high alert after the attempted abduction. Picture: Ian Burt

RAF Marham was on high alert after the attempted abduction. Picture: Ian Burt

Archant 2016

The attempted abduction of a serviceman from a Norfolk airbase a year ago is no longer being treated as an active investigation by police.

RAF Marham is still on high alert after last night's attack. Picture: Ian BurtRAF Marham is still on high alert after last night's attack. Picture: Ian Burt

Detectives launched an investigation after an RAF Marham serviceman was ambushed by two men, of Middle Eastern appearance, while out running along Squires Hill on July 21 last year.

During the daylight attack the married serviceman was dragged towards a dark-coloured people carrier, but he managed to fight off and escape the attackers – one of whom was armed with a knife.

In the past 12 months detectives have analysed hundreds of calls, looked through hours and hours of CCTV footage and also even made an appeal for information on BBC1’s Crimewatch show.

But despite an extensive inquiry, which has so far cost in the region of £113,000 and involved detectives from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team as well as officers from the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command, no arrests have been made.

Detective Inspector Neil Stewart said while some lines of enquiry were being reviewed, it was no longer an active investigation.

He said: “While this is not an active investigation, clearly any new information which came to light would be reviewed and acted on accordingly.

“All relevant enquiries have been exhausted and the work carried out by the team has been very productive, particularly in identifying the most important witnesses captured on CCTV.

“We’ve analysed more than 500 calls from members of the public, reviewed hours of CCTV footage and carried out ANPR enquiries, which have unfortunately revealed no significant leads in relation to suspects.

“While we are unable to say for certain what the motive was, enquiries completed so far lead us to believe this attack is un-related to terrorism. “As with any investigation of this nature, the victim has been spoken to at length and challenged over the version of events.

“The results of this, combined with other enquiries, have uncovered no evidence to undermine this.”

Anyone with information concerning the incident at RAF Marham should contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) via 101.

Most Read

Latest from the Watton and Swaffham Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists