July 24 2014 Latest news:
By STEVE DOWNES
Friday, April 20, 2012
From fishing boats to lifeboats, the Mo Sheringham Museum is dedicated to vessels of the smaller variety.
But a new display has been pulled together to tell the tale of the town’s link to one of the largest and most celebrated ships of all, Titanic.
As the world marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ocean liner, the museum has pulled together posters, ephemera and a scale model of Titanic, donated to the town by Reg Goodman, who has since died.
The display is inspired by the fact that Titanic’s fourth officer Joseph Groves Boxhall had relatives and descendants from Sheringham.
Mr Boxhall was the nephew of Thomas Boxhall, who lived in Sheringham from 1825 to 1902 and who was a coastguard and a boat builder.
The display at the museum includes a ceremonial sword that was believed to have been presented to Thomas Boxhall in 1879 for his coastguard work.
Joseph Groves Boxhall was off duty when Titanic hit an iceberg at 11.40pm on April 14 1912. Hearing the lookout bell, he headed to the bridge and was responsible for calculating the ship’s position so that a distress signal could be sent out.
Mr Boxhall was put in charge of lifeboat number two, with 18 people on board out of a possible 40. He rowed away from Titanic for fear of being pulled down by the suction when she sank.
He and his passengers were rescued by RMS Carpathia and arrived at New York on April 18.